Thursday, April 15, 2010

Confession of a Frankenparent

I was going to be different. With 20 years of experience in independent schools I know the college game and I wasn't going to be sucked in to the trap of living out my own insecurities through my daughter's college acceptances. I know better, right? Maybe not. An op-ed piece in today's Boston Globe, The myth of the Frankenstudent, points out the struggle for many parents, even those of younger children, of balancing our hopes and dreams for our kids with letting them just be kids. I like to think I'm mostly successful at keeping my inner "Frankenparent" at bay, but as I vacillate between being happy to allow my girls to be who they are and registering my eldest for SAT tutoring this summer, I fear I'm really Jekyll and Hyde.

No comments: