Thursday, December 9, 2010

What Are Parents To Do?

If it seems as if this space is turning into a tech blog, please know it isn't intentional. It just seems that there's so much out there for us to know about technology: what it can do; what it can't do; what we wish it could do; what we're sorry it can do. Steve Bergen, the director of technology at Concord Academy when I started my teaching career there in 1990, would often say, "If you have a question about how to do something on the computer, ask someone younger than yourself. If that person can't help, then ask someone younger than that." I've never forgotten that advice, and I've never gotten totally comfortable with it either. There's no doubt that Steve knew what he was talking about, but the older I get them more I worry that turning over so much control to the young is not such a great thing.

Last Sunday's New York Times published a front page story, As Bullies Go Digital, Parents Play Catch-Up. The story correctly points out that what we're up against as parents and educators is as much about a technology gap as it is a morality gap.

No comments: