Friday, September 24, 2010

Return to Oz, Hold the Monkeys

The EFS auction is an annual highlight for the school community. Although it doesn’t take place until April 30th this year, there was a kick-off luncheon yesterday for all the committee chairs. The auction occurs each year only because of the hard work, dedication, and generosity of hundreds of committed volunteers and donors. Planning is well under way, but yesterday’s event marked the official start of auction season and the announcement of the theme, Return to Oz. Everyone loves The Wizard of Oz and it presents our auction planners with so many great options for creative decorations. But before we get too far down the yellow brick road of planning and building excitement, I’ve got a little confession.

My goals upon arriving at EFS just over four years ago were modest. I wanted students, parents, alumni, and friends of the school to see me as approachable, humble, smart, confident, engaged, an effective communicator, and balanced. At least I wasn’t putting too much pressure on myself, right? I’m lucky to have found a school community that has allowed me to be myself and grow into the job.

As with any relationship, layers are peeled away over time. Insights into my upbringing, my family, my personality, and my quirks have no doubt revealed themselves, some intentionally and others in spite of my best efforts to keep them hidden. I love to tell stories and often use tales about my strict parents, about being the new kid in school, about my successes and failures to illustrate life lessons we hope to teach EFS students. Some of my stories are even true. I’ve certainly shared my passion for Boston sports teams, history, cycling, and playing hockey. And I think anyone who knows me knows how much I enjoy and take seriously my responsibility as Riley and Lucy’s father.

Now the EFS auction is forcing me to reveal a secret I’d hoped to keep to myself. I hate the flying monkeys. I know hate is a strong word and one that parents and teachers tell young children not to use, but I don’t do so lightly. First, it makes me a little less vulnerable than words like scared, nightmares, or heebie jeebies. And second, let’s be honest, no one likes those monkeys. They’re poor role models for our children. They’re followers of the worst sort, doing whatever the wicked witch tells them. They’re bullies, picking on poor, defenseless Toto. Worst of all, they have awful theme music. Everyone needs good theme music – think Superman, ET, Mighty Mouse, and Dudley Do-Right (dating myself a bit, aren’t I?). Flying monkeys are just plain creepy.

Anyway, I have every confidence that this year’s auction will be a rousing success. Of course I’ll be there to greet folks and share in the revelry as usual. But if there are any flying monkeys around, you’ll find me in the bathroom.
See, they're a traffic hazard too!

No comments: