Friday, October 22, 2010

Upper School Parents' Night

What follows is the text of my talk with Upper School Parents on October 6, 2010.

Strictly speaking, I’m not going to address the usual Parents’ Night topics. I’m not going to talk about our fantastically passionate and committed faculty. I’m not going to talk about our proven academic program. I’m not going to talk about what a great start to the year we’ve enjoyed. I’m not going to talk about our graduates and all the things that an EFS education can prepare you for. Rather, I’m going to talk a little about the past and the future.

Sally Jarzab, in our development office, recently unearthed some interesting history about EFS. As the school marks its 115th year since incorporation, it is fascinating to see how much has changed and how much has stayed the same.

Both the Elmwood School and the Franklin School were founded in the Elmwood District in the late 19th century. Prior to their founding, Buffalo was sometimes referred to as an “educational desert.”

In 1914, the Elmwood School established Buffalo’s first parent council, then called the Mother’s Council.

In the 1920s children would often arrive at the Franklin School in the mornings by chauffeured limousine.

Changing class periods were announced at the Elmwood School by the school secretary banging a gong in the hallways.

As part of the new-fangled social studies class at the Elmwood School in 1930, students were given the assignment of looking ahead 10 years and describing life and culture. One group of students predicted that, by 1940, children would simply “sit in chairs, tuned in constantly to elaborate radios for every kind of communication and instruction.”

Tuition at the Franklin School for the 1938-39 school year ranged from $175 for kindergarten to $375 for 8th grade. Remember, median family income was under $2000.

So what does this tell us about EFS then and now?

  • EFS has always been a recognized educational leader in Buffalo.
  • The school has always valued innovation.
  • Limos and chauffeurs, still proliferate. We just call them the limos SUVs and the chauffeur is known as mom.
  • Kids always dream about how school can be less painful and more fun. Unfortunately, for our little dreamers, school always has been and always will be hard work.
  • Many through the years have recognized EFS as a worthy investment in the future.
Last week, my daughter Lucy asked me for help on her history homework. I was thrilled. This is the same kid who when I asked her last year what she’d like to be when she grows up, replied, “I think I want to be a history teacher…” Imagine how my chest puffed out. She wants to be a history teacher like her father, I thought. I’d never heard her say anything like this before. Of course, before I could tell her how proud I was that she wanted to follow in my footsteps, she completed her sentence with three words that crushed my spirit, “…like Ms. Drew.” Even though I hadn’t quite recovered from this slight, I jumped at the chance to help her with her homework.

Mr. Garra’s assignment was to read some rules for civility that George Washington had written to practice his handwriting as a child and then to see if those rules had any relevance today. As we read them together, I couldn’t help but smile. The rules for appropriate behavior that our first president was taught as a child are exactly the same as what we all try to teach our children now. Sure they were stated differently, but the sentiments are universal.

First, the words that young George Washington wrote, and then I’ll translate them into today’s vernacular. Parents may hear themselves in these words:

“Every action done in company ought to be with some sign of respect to those that are present.” Or as we might say today, treat others as you would like to be treated.

“Sleep not when others speak, sit not when others stand, speak not when you should hold your peace, walk not on when others stop.”  Translated for 21st century parents, “Listen to me when I’m talking to you,” or, “Take that iPod out of your ears before I throw it out the window.”

“Kill no vermin as fleas, lice, ticks, etc in the sight of others, if you see any filth or thick spittle put your foot dexterously upon it. If it be upon the clothes of your companions, put it off privately and if it be upon your own cloths return thanks to him who puts it off.” With today’s notion of privacy being stretched to its limit, we find ourselves reminding students that privacy can afford us all a little dignity in embarrassing situations. Parents might want to remind their kids not to post family secrets on Facebook.

“Read no letters, books, or papers in company but when there is a necessity for the doing it, you must ask leave.” Don’t text at the dinner table!

“Show not yourself glad at the misfortune of another though he were your enemy.” Never kick someone when they’re down.

“Speak not injurious words neither in jest nor earnest. Scoff at none although they may give you occasion.” Teasing isn’t funny to the one being teased.

And finally, “Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation, for tis better to be alone than in bad company.” Or put as I heard my father say many times, “Just because your friends jump off a bridge doesn’t mean you should.”

See, simple, universal, timeless themes. Some of the issues may be different – Washington’s parents didn’t have to contend with the concern of George being exposed to adult themes at a young age through TV, movies, music, and the internet. They didn’t have to worry about email, texting, and IMing replacing good old fashioned human contact as the preferred modes of communication or the notion that how many “friends” you have is more important than the depth of those friendships. Nevertheless, the overall lessons are exactly what we all hope our children learn and learn well; what we know for a fact will stand them in good stead at Elmwood Franklin School, in high school and college, in their relationships and their careers.

These rules were drilled into George Washington’s consciousness by his copying them in his own handwriting. To those of us who spent time at the board in school, writing things like, “I promise not to take my neighbor’s pencil without asking,” over and over again until the teacher finally took mercy on us, this method of learning important lessons is familiar. Of course we don’t do that sort of thing any more, but I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. If we did, I can hear one of our students telling his teacher, “I could cut and paste it much faster.”

While parenting styles and pedagogy change, good character is always in fashion. Indeed, Elmwood Franklin’s mission has consistently spoken to the importance of positive character development as well as academic excellence. Our themes for the year – respect and celebration – demand action of our students in order to live up to our mission. Respect speaks to an attitude, but celebration asks that we all reach a little farther, to look for opportunities to celebrate the gifts that each member of this community has to offer.

I think the white noise of technology that bombards our children today makes teaching these old fashioned lessons more difficult – and more important – so I hope I can count on you to support our themes through your words and deeds throughout this year. When we work together, all our children benefit. Thank you, in advance. I’m looking forward to a great school year.

No comments: