Friday, February 26, 2010

Professional Blogging

I started this blogging business on a whim. In an effort to keep our friends and family in touch with our trip to last year's inauguration, I set-up a blog that chronicled our 4 days in DC. My family and I enjoyed recounting our experiences and hearing from those who were following us. As school started in September I launched this blog to have the forum to discuss various topics having to do with education, parenting, EFS, and anything else that came to mind. Although I hoped to post once a week, I haven't always kept up. Nevertheless, this will be my 19th post; not too bad.

As a result of my vast experience with blogging, I was asked to be one of four official bloggers for the National Association of Independent School (NAIS) Annual Conference - there are over 4000 independent school administrators and teachers at the conference. So here I sit, in San Francisco, attending workshops and general session speakers and blogging in every free moment. I've been to the conference many times over the years, but this is a very different way to experience it. It's meant that I need to be efficient and focused, but it's also been fun to be a voice of the conference for others. I had assumed that most of the followers would be folks who could not attend, but there are many attendees who have told me that they are following as well. Who knew?


I consider myself something of a luddite when it comes to social networking, so this blogging thing, this year and this week, has been an interesting new addition to my life. If you are interested in seeing what I've been up to in San Francisco, click here. Not included in the blog for NAIS, but definitely a highlight of the trip, was a dinner last night with a few EFS alums who live in the Bay Area.

One final note...don't feel too badly for me. In spite of dire predictions of rain all week, the weather here has been quite delightful. Although I've been stuck inside most of the time, it's struck me how nice 55 and sunny can feel for those of us mirerd in a cold and relatively snowless winter in Buffalo. The picture below was taken at a park across the street from the convention center during a break when I was able to sneak out for a few minutes.
Hopefully, this is what spring will look like when it finally arrives in Western New York.

No comments: